Wednesday, June 23, 2010

First rejection and random tech rant

I got my first query rejection this week. I was prepared for it, so it didn't crush me or anything. I've done enough research about the publishing industry by now to know how difficult it is to get an agent's attention, and I know even some of the best writers out there got rejected dozens of times, if not more, before landing that first agent. So I'm all right about it. Disappointed, sure, but not discouraged. Yet. I'll probably send out another small batch of queries soon, now that it's almost been a month since the first ones went out. I know not all agents reply if they're passing, so I can't sit around waiting forever. Got to keep on trucking.

Change of subject: technology. I love technology. I love all the gadgets they come up with, and most of the time, I end up buying them. I've gotten wise enough to know not to run out and buy anything as soon as it's released, because when you do that, you pay a ridiculous price for something that will only be improved upon and sold much cheaper later on. So I didn't run out and buy the first DVD player or first HDTV or first iPod. (Actually, I've never bought an iPod. I'm not anti-Apple, I just couldn't afford it, and once I started using other brands of mp3 players, switching to iPod was too difficult, given the different music formats.) And as much as I coveted it when it first came out, I didn't buy the Amazon Kindle right away, either. I love to read, and when I travel I hate having to lug all those books, so having a mobile reading device like that, where books would be only $10 or less, was like a dream come true for me. But it was $400, and that's a lot of money.

So I waited. And waited. And then waited to see if a 2nd generation was going to be released before I slapped down any money, but after over a year, nothing had changed. It was still super popular and usually in backorder, they still wanted $400 for it, and there was no Kindle 2 in sight yet. So when my birthday rolled around in 2008, I gave in. I paid half and my parents paid half as a birthday present, and I finally had a shiny new Kindle. Then, naturally, a few months later, Kindle 2 was announced.  And the Kindle 1 price dropped. Figured.  And now, I read that the price of the Kindle 2 has dropped even more to only $189! It's bad enough that I wish I had waited for the Kindle 2, which is thinner and sleeker and probably works more smoothly than the 1st gen, but to see it for less than half of what I paid for mine is just about killing me. Part of me is all grabby-hands and wants one, and another part is pissed off that I spent so much for what's now essentially an e-reader dinosaur. I doubt I'd even be able to sell if it I wanted to trade up. So I guess I'm stuck with it. Not that anything is wrong with it. It works fine, the battery still lasts a long time, and it does what I need it to do: show me books on an electronic screen that doesn't kill my eyes. Besides, I mostly read library books these days, so I hardly use it, anyway. It's just an annoyance that I didn't wait longer, I guess.

0 comments:

Post a Comment