Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I fail at blogging

So much for my promise to do a Titanic Tuesdays post this week. I have no excuse other than I completely forgot. Also, I had to do a bunch of graphics work yesterday and spent most of the weekend either editing Bloodstone or reading 11/22/63 (which was great). So I've been busy, even if some of that busy was devoted to relaxation.

Then again, have you seen 11/22/63? Holding that sucker up for hours on end is hardly relaxing. But it was worth it, because it was a great read. Stephen King has been one of my favorite authors ever since I was old enough to read "grown-up" books. As a matter of fact, I think he's just about the first adult-novel author I ever read. When I was a kid, I was addicted to his books. I've always liked horror. My favorites in the kids' genre were by Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine, after all. (Now I'm getting kind of nostalgic for the old Pike books. Remember Me was a particular favorite, as was The Chain Letter.)

Horror movies, on the other hand, are a different story. I still love them, but I'm easily freaked out. I don't know why movies scare me more than books, but I suspect it has something to do with them being more visual. The idea of things don't scare me as much as actually seeing them. I had to sleep with the lights on for a week after watching The Ring, and I was well into my 20s then. I'm a glutton for punishment too, because I watched it again after it came out on DVD. I thought surely the second time it wouldn't be as scary. In a way I was right. I only slept with the lights on for 3 or 4 nights that time.

I've always thought it would be fun to write a horror novel. I even have a vague idea for one, but never got around to starting it. Maybe one day I will. Though with my luck, I'll wait too long and someone else will get the same (or similar idea). Kind of like writing about vampires on the Titanic, waiting 10 years to finally publish it, and someone else publishing a book about werewolves on the Titanic a few months later. What were the odds? (Given the popularity of paranormal romance these days and the upcoming 100-year anniversary of the wreck ... pretty good odds, I'd imagine. Still, I had to laugh at my luck the first time I saw the news about the other book.)

Forgive the rambly post about nothing. I felt like I needed to put something up this week to make up for missing Tuesday's post yet again, but I didn't have a whole lot to say. I brought my laptop out by the pool this afternoon with the intention of editing some more, but got sidetracked. Not the first time that's happened. It's lovely out today (low 80s), and the cats are having a great time chasing squirrels. Poor cats don't seem to get the concept of screens: they can chase the squirrels all they want, but they're never going to catch them from in here. Still, they persevere. You've got to admire the dedication. I could use a little of it myself today.

Another thing I did today, which goes to show just how easily distracted I've been.



I have no idea what to do with the site now that I'm registered. Mainly I just wanted to see which district I'd get. Masonry wouldn't have been my first choice, but I suppose there are worse jobs than Plasterer. Now if only the movie would come out. I'm anxious to see it.

2 comments: