Friday, December 30, 2011

TGIF: First & Last

TGIF at GReads
This feature is for Fridays to re-cap the week's posts & to propose a question for Ginger's followers.

I know I kind of did a post like this earlier in the week, with my favorite books of the year, but this is a little different, and I felt like I should get another blog post in before the year is out.

As of right now, I’ve read 115 books this year, just 10 shy of my goal to read 125. Not too shabby. I should finish another tonight, making that 116, and if I’m really adventurous, possibly even read another tomorrow for 117. But we’ll see how that goes.

The first book I finished in 2011 was Happy Ever After by Nora Roberts. It was the last in her Bride Quartet, and I have to say, of all the Nora books/trilogies/etc. I’ve read, this one was one of my favorites. (And the covers were all gorgeous.) I work at a country club, where people have weddings all the time, so I know some of what goes into doing them (and how crazy it can be). And even knowing that, I still found myself wishing I could work with the girls at Vows. Nora’s setting for the quartet was written so well, I wished it was real so I could see the gorgeous property in person, and all the characters were interesting and likable. I loved how each book focused on not just a new member of the Vows staff, but a new aspect of the wedding business: from photography to flowers to cakes to the overall organization of it all.

Since 2011 isn’t quite over, I don’t know what my absolute last book will be. It will either be the one I’m currently reading, My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent, or One Magic Moment by Lynn Kurland, which is what I plan to start next. I got halfway through My Soul to Save last night, and would have gotten farther if I hadn’t stayed up until 3am the night before to finish Succubus Revealed by Richelle Mead. (Which would have been on my favorite books of the year list if I had waited to write it.)

So, since I can’t review a book I haven’t finished or read yet, that leaves Succubus Revealed as my “last book” of the year. I really loved this series, and was very satisfied with how it ended. I wasn’t sure how we were going to get a happily ever after for Georgina and Seth, but I was pleased with the way it all worked out. Sometimes these things can get overly contrived to make the HEA work, but in this case, I didn’t feel that way at all. It made sense, it worked in her history well, and everything was wrapped up nicely without being too over the top. A great series I would recommend to anyone who likes paranormal romance. So now I’m 2 for 2 in liking Richelle’s writing (the VA series being the other one I’ve read), which means it’s about time I try her Dark Swan series. My library has the first 3 in a bundle available on their ebook site, so one of these days, I’ll be sure to check it out.

All in all, a good year for reading. There were very few books that I didn't like, and only a couple I DNRed (rare for me). I hope 2012 is not only just as good for reading, but even better for me writing-wise. Destined is out and getting good reviews, and if all goes well, my next release will be in the early part of the year. Very exciting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment