Saturday, August 27, 2011

Well, there goes my productivity

I’m a nerd. Always have been, most likely always will be. I was pretty much the American version of Hermione Granger in school, as my friends can probably attest. Though I was also shy, so I don’t think I was as bad as her when it came to raising my hand. I don’t remember being the obnoxious “Ooh! Oooh! Pick me!” type; I just liked when I did well on tests and knew answers the other students didn’t. Man, that sounds snobbish, doesn’t it? Maybe I really WAS Hermione. Anyway, that’s me: nerd, geek, dork, they all apply. I’m competitive when playing games, because I love to win, though I do try to be a good loser when I don’t. (Which happens just about as often as winning does, whether I like to admit it or not. Especially when I’m playing against my father.) I love trivia of all kinds. And I LOVE puzzles.

So when I saw this online today, I got far too excited: The Great Global Treasure Hunt. This is totally my kind of game! They put a sample puzzle in the Telegraph today, so people could get a feel for how the game will work.  Here's a link for that. I have a feeling it’s an easy version of what will be in the book, because I knew the answer as soon as I read the text. I thought for sure it was too obvious, but the clues in the picture only confirmed it, so I guess I was right. (I love it when I’m right!) I’m not entering the contest, though, since I don’t live in the UK, and it seems kind of silly to try to win a trip that most likely will leave from London. But I do plan on getting the book (or the ebook, if it’s released soon after the book), and playing the big game. €50,000 is a pretty nice prize, especially since that comes to about $72,000. I think this is the first time I’ve actually been happy that the dollar is doing so terribly.

You know, I’ve always thought it would be fun to write a mystery novel that involved a big, elaborate puzzle that the reader could try to solve along with the hero/heroine. I love books like that. (I think that’s why I enjoyed Ready Player One so much. Well, that and all the 80s nostalgia, and the dystopian future angle. I’m a sucker for a good dystopian future plot.) Problem is, as much as I love to read those kinds of books, I don’t think I’d be very good at actually creating the puzzles. I’m better off just trying to solve them, so that’s what I’m going to do. I just hope it doesn’t suck up all my free time, because I have a new novel to promote, and another one to start editing.

Speaking of which: obligatory shameless self-promotion: Buy Destined!

And before I go, a quick “stay safe” to all of those on the East coast of the US today. Living in Florida, I’m usually the one bracing for a hurricane, so it’s a little strange to be watching it heading for someone else. While I’m relieved that my family and I are safe, I’d rather it wasn’t heading for anyone right now. I have friends up there, and I hope they get through the storm without too much damage. Hunker down, everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment